SPUG: Perl PR

Chris Sutton chris at chriskate.net
Fri Jun 14 21:22:18 CDT 2002

OK, time to "unlurk".  I work for Smooth Corporation who owns/runs/develops ifloor.com, cornerhardware.com and several other flooring type sites.  We do everything in perl.  All our sites are dynmically generated using mod_perl and Mysql (though we are rapidly moving everything to Postgresql).  Besides the visible "public" sides of the sites, there are lots of back end sales and fulfillment systems all developed in house using perl.

I think one of the misconceptions with perl is the bad rap that it gets via traditional CGI performance and that it's slow.  Most of our systems were CGI's when I got there over a year ago but since then almost all our systems are native mod_perl and the performance bottlenecks are no longer code, but in the database.  The PR that we should all try and spread is that performace wise (at least for webapps), perl (via mod_perl) is no slouch.  I have heard it is on par with Java based stuff but have never seen any benchmarks.

On a side note, I have started to learn java, (to compete in the robocode site, http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com ) and personally after coding in perl for several years not, trying to create a program that does what I want in java is bugging the crap out of me.  How the hell do you create a simple hash data structure in java, let alone a complete data structure like you can on the fly in perl, grrrr, (yes I know it's all about objects...).

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org