SPUG: There's only one right way to do it? (was: software libertarianism (was: Scope question))

Richard Anderson richard at richard-anderson.org
Fri Jun 14 20:34:28 CDT 2002

This idea of TOORWTDI (there's only one right way to do it) is contrary to
the design of Perl and what we know about computer science.  The classic
algorithm books (Knuth, Sedgewick) give many examples of {sorting |
searching | optimization | etc.} algorithms, all of which solve the problem
satisfactorily and each of which is optimum under the right circumstances.

I'd like to propose an alternative view of solutions to coding problems.
There is a small class of solutions that are Nearly Optimum in the sense of
maximizing certain qualities (conformance to spec, usability,
maintainability, flexibility, conformance to standards, etc.) while
minimizing other qualities (bugs, run/response time, consumption of system
resources, programming effort, time-to-market, etc.).  There is a larger
class of solutions that are O.K. But Not Great that score lower on the
optimization scale, an even larger class of Really Crappy solutions and a
practically infinite class of Doesn't Work "solutions".  I have omitted an
Optimum class because, for other than trivial problems, getting a group of
programmers to agree that a body of code is optimum down to a line-by-line
basis will never happen.

The trick, of course, is selecting the optimization criteria and weighting
factors.  The programmers, product managers, CIO and end user community will
all disagree on this.  What makes software development so interesting is the
strategic challenges of managing the technical and organizational problems
simultaneously and the tactical challenges of translating this into the
decisions we make as we write code.  The project cancellation cited by Mr.
Pommert might have been averted if the programming team had weighted the
time-to-market factor more heavily in their actions.  Or not.

Cheers,
Richard
richard at richard-anderson.org
www.richard-anderson.org