SPUG: Perl PR

Don Shanks me at donshanks.com
Fri Jun 14 20:32:14 CDT 2002

I think it's the PR or maybe the lack of examples. I write a site that
uses almost all PERL. It's not tweaked as much as it could be because I
run an academic site, not e-commerce. My site is all XML using XSL and
XSP. It works great. I don't see a lot of other practical sites up
touting the abilities of PERL. I have worked in the commercial sector,
and contract out there now, and I will be working with an old friend in
building a complete e-Commerce site in PERL and XML.  I don't know why
others have missed it, but PERL works great on strings, XML is strings,
Hmmmmmm. There seems to be a correlation here.

In the end it means this: BRAG, BRAG, BRAG. If you got it running in
PERL let others know, stretch the boundaries, if you are in there, use
it. My current position did not originally call for PERL knowledge, but
through practical application, all future job specs will. I think we
need more practical applications in the commercial realm. PERL has been
relegated to reading log files for too long.

I'm mad as hell and I ain't gonna take it no more.

Sorry, got a little on the SOAP box. I'll be quiet now.

Ramblings of PERLunatic mind.

-Don