SPUG: Apache and Modules

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Thu Jan 24 10:56:52 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 07:36:24AM -0800, Peter Darley wrote:
> Friends,
> PerlModule is exactly what I was hoping for.
> Apache::Reload also looks like a great time saver.  I often restart Apache
> on my dev machine two or three times a minute while debugging.  Just out of
> curiosity, what kind of problems might it cause that would make it a bad
> idea for the production machine, or is it just a performance issue?

I agree that it is a great time saver while developing. I wouldn't use it
on a production machine because it implements a similar hack to the one
I described in a prior message. It adds cpu time to each and every
request, and while the code seems reasonable enough, I am hesitant to
add unnecessary logic to a production system, especially a heavily
loaded one.

Apache::Reload doesn't use Yitzchak's advice of deleting the namespace
prior to reloading the module; it is assumed that the compilation of the
newer module will overwrite everything in the same namespace.

A similar module that is interesting for devel environments, but I would
not run on production is Apache::PerlVINC. This lets one use two
different versions of a module within one running instance of
apache/mod_perl.

Have fun,
-C.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org