SPUG: Vendor wants to Present

Meryll Larkin humbaba9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 15:24:51 CST 2002

1/22/02

I didn't know anything about this vendor nor its
products until I went to the Web site.  These are Web
tools - right? - so their Web site SHOULD be a good
indictor of how good their tools are or what their Web
coding standards are like...   that's my premise,
anyway.  What I found does not entice me to their
"presentation."

Here's my evaluation of the coding on their site:
Their top level pages just miss fitting in a Netscape
4.x window on 800 X 600 resolution and their product
pages and Webtools pages are even worse.

The HTML appears to have been generated by a (bad)
HTML generator, possibly Frontpage, with tags all in
uppercase and bad indentation, bad boundaries on their
buttons, and extra unneeded tags
(this is a good indicator of bad code - view source on
this page
http://www.teamstudio.com and look at all the </UL> at
the bottom plus the double </HTML> tags).  Their
navigation isn't particularly good (it's confusing,
and in some places non-intuitive - but that isn't
coding, just architectural logic).

All that being said, they obviously want to "make a
presentation" that is going to be an advertisement for
their products - I assume they aren't looking for
speaker's fees.  How entertaining do you think their
presentation might be - is it worth squandering a SPUG
meeting on it - or are we running out of topics and
volunteer speakers anyway?  Would it obligate us to
them in any way?

Meryll

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/