SPUG: Apache and Modules

Peter Darley pdarley at kinesis-cem.com
Wed Jan 23 11:33:17 CST 2002

Friends,
	I have a question about how Apache Mod_Perl caches modules, which I can't
find on the web anywhere.

	The situation I'm in is that I recently started using CVS and found that it
was easier to have a cvs Modules repository where I keep my custom modules,
so they can be easily replicated to my production web server.  Older
versions of these same modules exist in the standard modules directory,
'/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/'.  	It appears that the module
that gets cached by the httpd instance is dependant on weather the first
script it runs has the use lib '../Modules' line in it or not.  If it does
it seems to cache the module from the cvs fed directory, and if not it
caches the one from the standard modules directory.
	I've changed my startup.pl to include use lib 'my cvs modules directory',
which seems to solve my problem, but I'm not sure.

	My question is thus: In order to more fully understand the inner workings
of the system, can someone describe the rules Apache uses for caching
modules?  Does the behavior that I described make sense, or do y'all think
I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Peter Darley

P.S.  I understand that having packages of the same name in different places
is probably not good, and I'll clean it up in the future, but because of
time considerations I don't have a whole lot of choice for now.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org