SPUG: How to deal with same name packages?

Matt Tucker tuck at whistlingfish.net
Tue Jan 15 06:45:59 CST 2002

-- Colin Meyer <cmeyer at helvella.org> spake thusly:

>> I'm hooked.  A couple of things to share with others who may be just
>> discovering this.  In these docs they say run
>>
>> httpd -X -D PERLDB
>>
>> I found you also need to specify -D HAVE_PERL or mod_perl doesn't
>> even load  (and you cant use the debugger).
>>
>> httpd -X -D HAVE_PERL -D PERLDB
>
> Do you have mod_perl compiled as a dso module (dynamically loadable
> into the httpd binary)?  Examples in the guide tend to assume that
> you have  mod_perl statically compiled into apache, as that is still
> recommended  for production systems.  I understand that the module as
> a dso behaves much better now than it did a year ago or so.

The '-D HAVE_PERL' is most likely specific to your particular
installation, and is probably made use of in the httpd.conf file with
something like:

<IfDefine HAVE_PERL>
	Alias /perl/ /var/www/perl/
	<Location /perl>
		SetHandler perl-script
		PerlHandler Apache::Registry
		PerlSendHeader On
		Options +ExecCGI
	</Location>
</IfDefine>

I've noticed that Mandrake has been doing something along these lines
which involves splitting Apache into two binaries: one which runs
mod_perl, and another which proxies all requests to it as well as
handling straight file requests and CGI's.