SPUG: How to deal with same name packages?

Matt Tucker tuck at whistlingfish.net
Mon Jan 14 20:14:17 CST 2002

-- Andrew Sweger <andrew at sweger.net> spake thusly:

> To all of you _still_ using debugging print statements, I urge you to
> give the Perl debugger a try. I will never go back to print
> statements. If you tried the Perl debugger and went back to print
> statements, speak up. I'd be curious to know what problems folks ran
> into (reasons other than not actually learning how to use the
> debugger). I already realize that learning the Perl debugger is hard
> work. It is worth it!
>
> I shouldn't say any more for fear I'll be recruited for a SPUG
> session on the Perl debugger.

The primary reason I still use print statements (essentially) rather
than the debugger is that I can't find a good way to get the debugger
to interact with a script running in a CGI session. Since a lot of what
I have to work with is so state-dependent (using cookies, etc.), it's
difficult to just run the script on the command-line.

I'd been messing around for a bit with an attempt to get the CGI script
to open an xterm on my box (over ssh) with a perl debugger session
connected to the script, but never quite got it working.