SPUG: complementary skills [was: Avoid this recruiter?]

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Thu Jan 10 11:24:21 CST 2002

"Steve Cartoon" <otter101 at hotmail.com> writes:

[...]

> most of them don't have a fraction of our knowledge and
> probably use O'Reilly books to prop up their tables or
> boost up their flowerpots...

Be fair!  Knowledge is not 1-dimensional.  There are many
kinds of knowledge, many kinds of skills.  It's no more
necessary for a poultry farmer to lay an egg than it is for
a technical recruiter to optomize recursive decent parsers.
Of course the farmer needs to know *about* eggs and the
recruiter needs to know *about* software.  The important
point is that the farmer or recruiter be able to work with
the other members of the team to produce the desired result.
It's a symbiotic, complementary relationship.  Developer
skills should complement recruiter skills.  If they're
identical, one of them is redundant (and probably
unnecessary unless it's a fault-tolerant system).

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf at att.net