SPUG: backticks, system, and ImageMagick

ced at carios2.ca.boeing.com ced at carios2.ca.boeing.com
Mon Feb 25 17:51:23 CST 2002

> I didn't get any of them to work yet, but I found that
> if I specified -verbose on the identify command, the
> output went to STDOUT and I was able to capture it.

Perhaps, the problem was that error output was written
directly to /dev/tty... At any rate, Perl 5.6.1 at least
on W2K seems to get the Unix redirection semantics right:

C:\perl -wl
my $out = qx{ foo 2>&1 };
die "failed $?: $out" if $?;

gives:

"failed: 256 'foo' is not recognized as an internal or
external command, operable program or batch file.

Rgds,
--
Charles DeRykus

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org