SPUG: Re: How to deal with pop-ups in automation

Richard Anderson richard at richard-anderson.org
Tue Feb 19 14:22:46 CST 2002

If you don't have a valid userid/password for the server you are accessing,
you are out of luck (unless you are a good cracker and are willing to risk
arrest and prosecution :-] ).

The way I handled this situation was to use CPAN modules LWP::UserAgent and
HTTP::Request::Common to create an HTTP user agent.  This allows you to pass
a userid and password with your request.  Here's a sketchy code outline:
use HTTP::Request::Common qw(GET POST);
use HTTP::Response qw(code content is_error status_line);
use LWP::UserAgent qw(agent request);
$request = POST($url, [ <hash containing parameters> ]);
$request->header('Content-type' => 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded');
$request->authorization_basic($test->{auth}->[0], $test->{auth}->[1]);
$response = $user_agent->request($request);

Some informational resources:
perldoc lwpcook
perldoc HTTP::Response
CPAN module HTTP::WebTest