SPUG: flip-flops

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Wed Feb 6 18:27:54 CST 2002

Hi Jason,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:40:29PM -0800, dancerboy wrote:
[...]
> Whereas with an operator, I can't do anything like:
>
>    $foo = $bar .. $baz;
>    print(
>     "The current flip-flop state is "
>     .  ..->get_state()
>     . "\n"
>    );
>
> Even if ..->method() were legal, it wouldn't do what I want, because
> it's testing the wrong operator.  I'd need some way to refer to the
> operator in the previous line, but because it's an operator, there's
> no way to do that.

You can test the state of scalar .. .  That's what you typically do
with it.

  if ($bar .. $baz) {
    print "flip-flop's state is true.\n";
    print "Next evaluation will check the right hand term.\n";
  }
  else {
    print "flip-flop's state is false.\n";
    print "Next evaluation will check the left hand term.\n";
  }

Or you could save that state into a variable, as you did in your
example.  You could have said:

  print 'The current flip-flop state is: ", $foo?'true':'false', "\n";

You'd rather that there was a FlipFlop class object that provided an
accessor to that state?

Have fun,
-C.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org