SPUG: A new Perl magazine

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Feb 5 12:57:39 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:10:04PM -0800, Kris Sontag wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this has been mentioned already but I just stumbled across this. It
> looks like the Perl Mongers are trying to get a new Perl magazine going to
> fill the void left by The Perl Journal. Check out the premiere, on-line only
> issue here: http://www.perl.org/ThePerlReview/
>
> Thanks,
> Kris Sontag [ksontag at riverdeep.net]
> Web Systems Administrator
> Riverdeep, home of the Edmark brand

Just a quick note to clarify the situation.  The Perl Journal is
*still* in existence, although harder to spot these days, now that the
dot-bomb-triggered depletion of advertising revenues has relegated it
to the status of a quarterly "appendix" to Sys Admin magazine.   So the
"void" mentioned above is much more apparent than real.

While I encourage SPUGsters to enjoy the benefits of all the Perl-oriented
publications they can find, I *exhort* them to continue supporting The
Perl Journal!  This publication has a fantastic track record of providing
up to date and authoritative info on the Perl world, and is produced by
some of the best minds in our community (not to mention my candidate for
the Best Technical Editor of his Generation, Jon O.!)  Just look at the
masthead from the 12/2001 issue: SENIOR CONTRIBUTING EDITOR: Jon Orwant.
CONTRIBUTING EDITORS: Chris Nandor, Damian Conway, Dan Brian, Sean Burke,
and Simon Cozens.

With our continued support, and an anticipated rebound in advertising
revenue as the economy turns around, TPJ should eventually reappear as a
magazine in its own right, and grow to its former size.  It would be a
great shame if the historically strong support of the Perl community for
TPJ were to become fragmented in the direction of other Perl publications,
some of which might have the attraction of being (temporarily) free,
and ultimately cause TPJ to fold.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for competition and alternative sources of
information,  but let's be careful not to burn our bridges behind us; if
TPJ, which is currently in a precarious financial condition, goes bust,
it's unlikely we'll ever get it back.

So my recommendation is to support TPJ, *and* its alternatives, so that
we expand the resources available to the Perl community, without further
endangering the best one we've ever had, TPJ.

For information about subscribing to TPJ (along with Sys Admin),
see www.tpj.com.

-Tim

|  Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix          (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX#   |
|  tim at consultix-inc.com   www.consultix-inc.com   www.softwareprofessor.com   |
| FEB: Perl; APR: Shell; Int. & OO Perl; Perl DataBase; JUNE: Basic UNIX, Perl |
| NEW Seminar Series!  "DAMIAN CONWAY's Adv. Perl Workshop"; Seattle, 7/15-18  |
| Adv. OOP  *  Adv. Module Implementation Techniques  *  Programming in Perl 6 |

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org