SPUG: finding the permissions

C.J. Collier cjcollier at pobox.com
Fri Feb 1 17:11:47 CST 2002

see 'perldoc -f stat'

excerpt:

 stat FILEHANDLE
       stat EXPR
       stat    Returns a 13-element list giving the status info
               for a file, either the file opened via FILEHANDLE,
               or named by EXPR.  If EXPR is omitted, it stats
               $_.  Returns a null list if the stat fails.  Typi-
               cally used as follows:

                   ($dev,$ino,$mode,$nlink,$uid,$gid,$rdev,$size,
                      $atime,$mtime,$ctime,$blksize,$blocks)
                          = stat($filename);

(stat(FH))[2] will have the information about the mode (type &
permissions) of the file.

@info = stat("foo.txt");
printf("%04o\n", $info[2] & 0777);

This will print the mode (for instance 0664)

Hope this helps,

C.J.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org