SPUG: Sort an array question

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Mon Dec 30 01:18:11 CST 2002

On 27 Dec 2002, Michael R. Wolf wrote:

> Andrew Sweger <andrew at sweger.net> writes:
>
> > Granted, there are programming jobs in large organizations where there is
> > enough engineering infrastructure where a programmer can work from
> > specifications. You will see more and more of this kind of work outsourced
> > to other markets unless our economy adjusts.
>
> I don't get what you're pointing at here.  Outsourced where?  What
> adjustments would prevent/encourage the outsourcing?  What's left *in*
> when the remainder is *out*?

Sorry. I think there will be increasing pressure for large software
engineering organizations to send detailed specification-based jobs to
other skill markets outside of North America. The smaller organizations
will continue to rely on hero skills to get the tough jobs done (which is
where creativity will continue to flourish).

> > I might be a dinosaur.
>
> I'm sure you are!  How many Moores' Law periods have you been in this
> business?  It's amazing that anybody's brain can keep up.  It's like
> starting a career in the bronze age and living through to the
> industrial revolution.  How much of your original tasks look similar?

Not that many. Only a bit over ten periods. But I had very good mentors
early on.

> But the real question is "Can you change?".  Make sure you keep the
> *good* parts when you do!!!!  :-)

Change is all I know. But I also accept that I can almost be more
effective as a teacher/mentor to the young and foolish (and significantly
more creative) people that can replace me.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org