A question of Style, was: SPUG: Sort an array question

Brian Hatch spug at ifokr.org
Sat Dec 28 15:38:22 CST 2002

> On Friday, December 27, 2002, at 12:26  PM, Brian Hatch wrote:
> >
> >If you are writing code that is only used by your employer, then
> >increased obfuscation can lead to a good situation called "job
> >security".
>
> *cold chill creeps up the back of my neck*

That was written as a joke, of course...

> A friend of mine says:
>
> "A good programmer can recognize well-written code from 50 feet away."

Actually, I think even non programmers can tell the difference.  A
good combination of well chosen variable names, clean indentation,
and comments should be readable by anyone in any higher level
language.  Certainly, good vs bad can be distinguished by anyone,
even if it's not entirely obvious what it does.  (Regexps for example
are hard for those who don't know them, but using [:alpha:] is
easier for anyone to read than [a-zA-Z] for example.)

--
Brian Hatch                  "Gates' Law: Every 18
   Systems and                months, the speed of

Every message PGP signed