A question of Style, was: SPUG: Sort an array question

Peter Darley pdarley at kinesis-cem.com
Fri Dec 27 13:31:49 CST 2002

Brian,

	I disagree with this.  I think that index1 and index2 are preferable to i
and j.  For one thing, i and j may be commonly used by 90% of people to
represent indexes to arrays, but why not include something that is going to
be immediately obvious to the other 10% that have some different convention
that they use?

	The algorithm could be described as "Step through the array in order and
compare the working value with the values in the array that occur after it,
switching them if the compared value is lower than the working value", which
leads us to the variable names of $Working and $Compare.  Why not do
something like:

	for my $Working ( 0 .. $#Array) {
	    for my $Compare ( $Working + 1 .. $#Array) {
		$Temp = $Array[$Compare] . $array[$Working];	  # join compare elements

	With operators where order makes a difference (like the . operator) it has
an even bigger impact on readability, because instead of having "some
element of an array . some other element of an array" we have "element of
the array that we're comparing . element of the array that we're working
with".  I think this adds a lot to the readability.

	I've changed the variables to initial caps, since it helps them stand out
from all the lower case reserved words.  This is entirely individual
preference.

	Anyway, as y'all can probably tell, this is a pet peeve of mine.  I've put
out my opinion and so I'll drop it now. :)

Thanks,
Peter Darley