SPUG: Sort an array question

Brian Hatch spug at ifokr.org
Thu Dec 26 18:09:25 CST 2002

> Cool, Thanks!  I'll look into this.  I've never used
> IPC module before.  Seems like a good place to check.

IPC == InterProcess Communication.

I cheeted - I piped the array to the 'sort' unix
command, and read the results back in.

> One of the
> stipulations as I started working on it at the board
> was that everything be sorted in a single array.
> "Without creating a new memory space" is what the guy
> said if I remember correctly.

Well, using fork/exec to launch the unix sort command
would certainly violate that requirement.  But it is

A quick sort or bubble sort would fit his requirement,
no doubt.  An insertion sort could if you take from one
array and grow a second array if you consider that
there's a net zero change in memory usage, but that's
probably not what he wanted.

Brian Hatch                  "Draal told Zathras what
   Systems and                to do. So Zathras will do.
   Security Engineer          Or much, much dying."

Every message PGP signed