SPUG: Meeting tonight: "Extreme/Spam"

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Aug 20 14:27:08 CDT 2002

           August 2002 Seattle Perl User's Group Meeting
   Speaker #1:     Asim Jalis:  "Extreme Perl"
   Speaker #2: Creede Lambard:  "Mail::SpamAssassin"

      Time: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 7-9pm
  Location: SAFECO bldg, Brooklyn St. and NE 45th St.
      Cost: Admission is free and open to the general public.
      Info: http://seattleperl.org/

                  "Extreme Perl", by Asim Jalis
In this talk, you will learn:

- What's eXtreme Programming, Unit Testing, Refactoring, and
  Emergent Architecture.

- What's in the CPAN unit testing modules and how to use
  these modules to tighten your code.

- How to jump into coding without spending weeks and months
  in architecture and design, and still deliver code that is
  rock-solid.

- How to shock your product manager by cheerfully accepting
  brand new requirements and then implementing them without
  breaking any existing functionality.

We will talk about unit testing, refactoring, and emergent
architecture as they apply to Perl, and then we'll do some
mob programming to experience how it works in practice.

About the Speaker, Asim Jalis
-----------------------------
Asim is a software engineer at Hewlett-Packard where he is
working on printing applications of web services using
C#/.NET. He uses Perl to run an internal website and for
various maintenance tasks. He has an M.S. in computer
science and an M.A. in mathematics.

            "Mail::SpamAssassin", by Creede Lambard

This talk will include:

- a description of how Unix delivers your mail
- a brief understated diatribe on why spam is bad
- how to use Mail::Audit to filter your mail
- how Mail::SpamAssassin can help decide what's worth keeping

About the Speaker, Creede Lambard:
---------------------------------
I'm a computer professional with over 20 years' experience in
various platforms. I first learned Perl about five years ago and
discovered that English really wasn't my native language after
all. I'm a veteran of Microsoft, RealNetworks, The Cobalt Group
and several lesser entities, and am currently looking for another
position so I know definitively what kind of work I'm out of.

See you there!

-Tim
|  Tim Maher, Ph.D.            tim at timmaher.org      |
|  SPUG Founder & Leader       spug at seattleperl.org  |
|  Seattle Perl Users Group    www.seattleperl.org   |
| Tim Maher, CEO, CONSULTIX  (206) 781-UNIX; (866) DOC-PERL; (866) DOC-LINUX |
|  JAPH, JAWCAR ("Just Another White Camel Award Recipient")                 |
|  tim at consultix-inc.com  teachmeunix.com  teachmeperl.com  teachmelinux.net |
| 8/26: Perl+Modules   9/18: Int Perl   9/23: Shell & Utilities   OCT: mjd ? |

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org