SPUG: Self-generating code: yea or nay? (was: Dijsktra is Dead)

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Fri Aug 9 22:12:32 CDT 2002

On Friday 09 August 2002 08:03 am, Richard Anderson wrote:
> And what is the reason for not simply writing a perl program using DBD/DBI?
> This would seem to be a cleaner implementation, more maintenance-friendly.

When you're dealing with many gigabytes of data, even the small overhead of
having DBI get in the way is a large cost. The plan is to keep it all as
low-level as possible to turn a several hour job into a few hours. I write
bash scripts because bash is much better suited for running the programs
directly.

Perl is great for organizing the scripts. I can make a few changes to the perl
script, and change which tables and rows I am grabbing.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardn at alumni.washington.edu

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org