SPUG: Self-generating code: yea or nay?

Marc M. Adkins Marc.M.Adkins at Doorways.org
Fri Aug 9 11:45:38 CDT 2002

I learned Perl after browsing the camel book in Borders and noticing that it
had an eval() function.  It's the first language I've used since Lisp that
has this feature.

I had been playing with Java but reflection didn't do what I wanted...and
all I really wanted was to _easily_ evaluate simple math expressions.  After
learning Perl I found that 95% of the code I had written in Java (on that
particular project) was unecessary if I used Perl.

Granted, mis-use of this feature can lead to performance penalties as well
as being hazardous to one's health (I finally got enough rope to really hang
myself).

mma

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org