SPUG: 5.6.1 vs. 5.005

Alex Leites Alex.Leites at esca.com
Wed Sep 19 11:51:46 CDT 2001

> > Perhaps this question is outdated, but I recently migrated one of my
> > boxes from Linux2.4.x to FreeBSD4.3.  I had been using perl5.6.1
> > flawlessly for quite some time now, but FreeBSD4.3 still relies on
> > 5.005.  My programs and the CPAN modules I use compile fine under
> > 5.005.
> >
> > However, I'm wondering if there are any signficant
> > performance/implementation differences between 5.005 and 5.6.1 that
> > would motivate me to upgrade to 5.6.1.  Anyone know if 5.6.1 performs
> > better, uses resources better, or something like that?
>
> One of the biggest incentives for me is that 5.6 handles dying with
> objects instead of just strings, which allows for true exception
> handling.

This is not really new in 5.6, 5.005 can do it as well, as experimental
feature (thus not documented in 5.005 perlfunc):
http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.005/pod/perldelta.html#Extended-support-for-exc
eption-handling

Another good link for Perl EH:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/perl.html#Exception_Handling_for_mod_perl

Also, for those interested in circular references etc. have a look at
Weak References, experimental in 5.6:
http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perldelta.html#Weak-references

Alex

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org