SPUG: XML::XPath, LibXML Re: [was can't die() ...]

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Mon Sep 17 20:04:13 CDT 2001

Hi, Douglas,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 03:35:05PM -0700, Douglas Leonard wrote:
> I'd recommend moving towards XML::LibXML rather than something such as
> XML::XPath if you are looking for reasonable speed of execution.  I used
> XPath on my last project and have been regretting it ever since because it
> is so slow.  The reiterative manner in which it builds relationships can
> severely impact performance on even relatively small datasets.

I'd agree that XML::XPath is very slow at what it does. I should have
added that I typically have used it for one-time processing, and not for
dynamic requests. If your processing is cached with a system like
AxKit, that can also help out on dynamic request times.

Hmm, upon examining the documentation of XML::LibXML, I see that it
supports XPath notation through the findnodes() method.  It even
seems that Matt Seargent made the API quite similar to XML::XPath,
so porting should be easy.  I'll have to give it a whirl.

The only downside to XML::LibXML that I can see is that it doesn't yet
support SAX. It seems that the underlying c library does support SAX.

Have fun,
-C.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org