SPUG: Sept. Meeting: Lightning Strikes SPUG!

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Wed Sep 12 17:41:33 CDT 2001

SPUGsters,

Starting with next week's meeting, I'd like to experiment with
adding the "lightning rounds" format to our monthly agenda.
For those who don't know, these are 5-minute talks that are easy
to prepare, and even if some are boring, the spectators know
that in 5 minutes or less the topic will definitely change.
This format originated at one of the YAPCs, and it has since
migrated to TPC where it has been very popular.

I encourage all who plan to attend to think about talking briefly
about something Perlish (favorite module, pet peeve, job situation,
book/magazine, web-site, is there a Module so bizarre that even
Damian couldn't write it, etc.), and to bounce your ideas off the
list subscribers first to get useful feedback.

If we allow 10 minutes for announcements, 50 minutes for the
speaker (Jim Flanagan), and 10 minutes for a break, we'll
theoretically have time for about 10 5-minute talks.  If we
get fewer volunteers, we could let each have more time.

I'll need to coordinate with Andy to confirm this, but I'm thinking
that any supporting (digital) materials would need to be in text,
HTML, PostScript, or PDF format, either emailed to somebody first
(andy?) or brought on a 3.5" FAT or VFAT -format diskette or
perhaps a CD.

So who wants to pitch the first idea?

-Tim
|  Tim Maher, Ph.D.             Tel: (206) 781-UNIX    |
|  SPUG Founder & Leader      Email: spug at halcyon.com  |
|  Seattle Perl Users Group    HTTP: seattleperl.com   |

P.S.  I've got some empty seats in my Minimal Perl class that's taking
place next Monday (http://www.consultix-inc.com/minperl.html); any
SPUGsters interested in attending at a discounted price please get in
touch with me.
| Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix        (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX# |
| Email: tim at consultix-inc.com         Web: http://www.consultix-inc.com  |
| TIM MAHER: Unix/Perl  DAMIAN CONWAY: OO Perl  BRIAN INGERSON: Inline.pm |
| CLASSES->Perl 9/18;  Shell/Utilities 10/8; Int. Perl 10/22; Inline 11/6 |

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org