SPUG: Version control white paper

James Moore james at banshee.com
Thu Oct 25 11:01:00 CDT 2001

CVS doesn't actually do versioning, which is why you may be having a
problem.  It's just a wrapper around another versioning system, almost
always RCS, but I think it can be configured to use SCCS or just about
anything else.

CVS exists to put directory structures around files under version
control.  CVS runs RCS ommands to track file versions.  RCS itself
doesn't know anything about things at the level of abstraction of a CVS
project or even a directory; it only knows about single files.

- James