SPUG: Re: Learning more about Regexes : Has MRE been revised yet?

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Wed Oct 3 13:08:57 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 06:26:51AM -0400, Scott R. Godin wrote:
> I've been seriously wanting to get the book, but considering all the
> posts I've seen around about how out of date it was, several months back
> when I was more active on usenet, I put it off.
>
> Does anyone know if any plans are in the works to revise and re-release
> it anytime THIS millennium? :)

Jeffrey told me last year that O'Reilly had been bugging him about updating
"Mastering Regular Expressions," and Jeff ("Japhy") Pinyan
mentioned at TPC that Jeffrey told him he's now working on that.

So at some future point, I think we can expect to see a new
edition appearing.  In the meantime, the book is still quite
useful, so long as you ignore the frequent advice to avoid using
$& to avoid slowing down your program (it no longer causes the big
performance hit it used to).

-Tim
| Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix        (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX# |
| Email: tim at consultix-inc.com         Web: http://www.consultix-inc.com  |
| TIM MAHER: Unix/Perl  DAMIAN CONWAY: OO Perl  BRIAN INGERSON: Inline.pm |
|CLASSES:Shell/Utilities 10/8; Int Perl 10/22; Inline.pm 11/6; UNIX 11/26 |

--

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org