SPUG: PDF to HTML, or PDF extract

Richard Wood wildwood_players at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 15:47:20 CDT 2001

It is true that the searches for PDF on the internet
and in places like CPAN bring up many hits.  But in
reading through their documentation, it appears that
most (all that I have found) only do things like

is_pdf: verify that a file is a pdf file
pdf_version: get the pdf version
pdf_pages: how many pages

but nothing to really do an extract, at least not that
I read from the doc on the web.

I will pull down the module and see if there is more
there than what is documented.  There is a reference
to a method called "doprint" which sounds like it may
have some power.

Rich Wood

--- John Labovitz <johnl at meer.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, May 17, 2001, at 09:00  AM, Richard
> Wood wrote:
> > But, I have looked on CPAN, Monks, and the
> internet in
> > general and have not found any tools to do this.
>
> Really?  I looked for "PDF" on seach.cpan.org, and
> found lots and lots
> of stuff.  However, it does look rather complex and
> redundant (many
> modules do similar things), and I'm not sure whether
> it would be
> worthwhile to learn it all in order to be able to do
> what you're doing
> (especially if it's a one-off thing).
>
> Here's the search URL, just in case:
>
> 	http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=pdf
>
> Best of luck.
>
> john

> by your Email-address
>  For daily traffic, use spug-list for LIST ;  for
> weekly, spug-list-digest
>   Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Home Page:
> http://www.halcyon.com/spug/

=====
Richard O. Wood
Wildwood IT Consultants, Inc.