SPUG: Re: off topic - the ugly underbelly of consulting

Richard Anderson Richard.Anderson at raycosoft.com
Mon Mar 26 20:08:02 CST 2001

The ICCA (Independent Computer Consultants Assoc) has some good recommendations on inexpensive, reputable companies that can help you.  If you are serious about consulting, you will find their membership fee to be a god investment.

I consider insurance to be relatively insignificant.  Unless you are off your medication, the chances of a client suing you for breech of contract are miniscule. ;-)  More important than insurance is a binding arbitration clause, which does wonders for bringing deadbeat clients to heel.  The AAA (American Arbitration Assoc) has more details on their web site.

I never sign a contract, be it a contract that I originated or the client's contract, that does not have a binding arbitration clause.  No legitimate business will have a problem with such a clause.  If they do, thank them for their time and be on your way - there is no future in working with a client that is unwilling to sign a binding arbitration clause.

Richard Anderson, Ph.D.          www.unixscripts.com
Perl / Java / SQL / Unix           Richard.Anderson at raycosoft.com
Raycosoft, LLC                       Seattle, WA, USA