SPUG: Fw: Uniq in perl

Bill Alford billa at willapabay.org
Mon Mar 19 17:58:05 CST 2001

All the solutions I've seen so far look good for treating the list as a
set (I may have missed one that didn't).  But, from the uniq man page:

       Discard  all  but  one  of successive identical lines from
       INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or  standard
       output).

It looks like that's what's happening below.

Here's what I can come up with (not tested and a little verbose, but I
like verbose :) :

sub uniq {
  if (! @_) {
    return @_;  # for the empty set case