SPUG: March 20 Meeting: Komodo & Regexes, ActiveState
tim at consultix-inc.com
Wed Mar 14 21:58:06 CST 2001
Sorry about the delay, but the globe-trotting ActiveState people
have only recently gotten back to me with the following details
for next week's talk. Sounds like it could be a good one, so hope
to see you all there!
NOTE: The next few meetings, including this one, will run from
7:30-9:30 (rather than the usual 7-9pm) due to scheduling issues.
P.S. Same info on web-site too now.
| Tim Maher, Ph.D. Tel: (206) 781-UNIX |
| SPUG Founder & Leader Email: spug at halcyon.com |
| Seattle Perl Users Group HTTP: www.halcyon.com/spug |
"Perl, Komodo & Regular Expressions"
Brian King and Neil Watkiss, Developers
ActiveState Corp., Vancouver CA
Regular expressions are often the bane of many a programmer.
This talk provides an overview of the Regex debugger in Komodo,
ActiveState's new cross-platform, multi-language, scripting IDE.
The Regex Debugger, goes beyond the simple "matched or not"
feedback available in all current Regex debuggers. 'Rx' is written
in Perl and C and integrated into Komodo using Mozilla's XPCOM
technology. Coming soon to Mozilla, PerlXPCOM will allow you to
write your components directly in Perl.
1. Background: Komodo & Perl
- A cross platform, multi-language IDE
- Based on Mozilla
- Perl debugging, syntax highlighting, auto-completion, etc.
2. Regular Expression Debugger
- What was missing - Regex debugger
- Never-before-seen features
- Decided to write in Perl
- Based on re.xs (in the Perl core)
- Mostly written in XS & C, some Perl
- Exposes the Perl regular expression engine functions
- Provides information about compilation and execution phases
- Written completely in Perl
- Provides an OO API to regular expressions and information
5. Integrating Rx into Komodo
- An XPCOM component (introduce XPCOM briefly)
- Written in C++
- Embeds a Perl interpreter
6. Future of Perl & Mozilla: PerlXPCOM
- Current status
| Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix (206) 781-UNIX/8649; ask for FAX# |
| Email: tim at consultix-inc.com Web: http://www.consultix-inc.com |
| TIM MAHER: Unix/Perl DAMIAN CONWAY: Adv. Perl COLIN MEYER: Perl/DBI |
| *We are currently scheduling On-Site Classes on UNIX and Perl topics!* |
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
POST TO: spug-list at pm.org PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org
Subscriptions; Email to majordomo at pm.org: ACTION LIST EMAIL
Replace ACTION by subscribe or unsubscribe, EMAIL by your Email-address
For daily traffic, use spug-list for LIST ; for weekly, spug-list-digest
Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Home Page: http://www.halcyon.com/spug/
More information about the spug-list