SPUG: Re: Perl Compiler.

Andrew Crum akcrum at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 20:35:29 CST 2001

Glad to. Didn't mean to hold out.

I have had luck using Perl2exe (www.indigostar.com). Use it on a regular
basis at work. Like perlapp, it's not really compiling perl, but does build
a binary that both hides your source code and doesn't require a customer's
machine to have perl resources.
I use it to build binaries for Linux and Solaris. My colleagues use it for
Win32 builds. It works for other flavors of UNIX as well.
It's even supposed to be possible to use Perl2exe to build a UNIX binary on
a Win32 platform, but I haven't done much with that.
John Cokos had asked if it worked with DBI.pm, etc, and I can say it does
indeed. I've installed many CPAN modules referenced by my code, including
the modules he mentioned.
One thing I had to discover was that, when preparing to install a new module
that would then be used with Perl2exe, my $PATH had to be modified to point
to Perl2exe's copy of bin/perl instead of locating the standard bin/perl.
With that resolved, building a new executable worked smoothly:
PATH=~perl2exe_top:~perl2exe_top/perl5/bin:${PATH}
PERL5LIB=<paths for my modules>
perl2exe -w <my_perl_script>

You can download a trial version of Perl2exe but will get a nag message when
running your executable until you pay for a registration code.
- Andrew Crum

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org