SPUG: Template system

Benjamin John Turner bjturner at mac.com
Thu Jul 26 16:06:16 CDT 2001

At 12:24 PM -0700 7/26/2001, Ian Li wrote:
>Right now, I'm considering HTML::Template, Text::Template, Template
>Toolkit. HTML::Template sounds like a good choice for me, but I
>can't include files into them. I like Template Toolkit because it
>works kinda like Server Side Includes, in terms of being able to
>include other files into one file. But I am concerned about Template
>Toolkit's speed.

	Personally, I'm fond of HTML::Mason, but that might be too heavy
for you, considering you don't have mod_perl avilable.
	I also follow HTML::Template development and I'm not sure what
you mean when you say you can't include files. There is a
TMPL_INCLUDE tag used by HTML::Template to insert another file into
the current one. The only catch is that any variables to be used in
the included file actually have to be set up by the script that's
calling the file that's doing the TMPL_INCLUDE. Is this what you mean
when you say you can't include files into them?
	I've never benchmarked Template Toolkit, but I can tell you that
HTML::Template is very fast and works quite well in a non-mod_perl
environment.
		Benjamin Turner
Benjamin John Turner          |  bjturner at bigfoot.com
http://www.usfca.edu/turner/  |  bjturner at whowhere.com

"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of
everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along
their way."

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org