SPUG: How to make a living with perl(.|?)

Jonathan Souza jsouza at cobaltgroup.com
Thu Feb 8 13:45:34 CST 2001

I am exactly in your situation.  I have a CS degree and 1 year of
experience with Perl and I am coming up on my review.  Two years ago, 1
past when I graduated, the average starting salary of a Western CS major
was $46K so that was what I asked for and I got $47K.

All my college CS roommates (BSquared, Weyerhauser, AT&T wireless) all
got similiar offers at the time BSquared used C++ (now C#), Weyerhauser
C, AT&T Smalltalk and all of them have received a end of year bonus or a
pay raise since.

I went to "Ask Jeeves" and I got a low, med, high salary for "Software
Engineer", which is my title for the West Coast, low was $64K.  I feel
that I am worth at least $5k - $10K more per year now, especially since
I am an employee and they did not have to pay the extra contrator fees
for me.

--
Jonathan Souza
Software Engineer: Product Development
The Cobalt Group: jsouza at cobaltgroup.com
tel: 206.269.6363 ext 8289   Direct: 206.219.8289
     800.909.8244            Fax: 206.219.8399
Home: courtassassin at home.com Phone: 206.762.1905

And Jim Palmer? I can't help wondering if he got into the Hall of Fame for
being a great pitcher, or for being the first underwear model to introduce
an entire nation to the concept of male camel toe.
-Nick Bakay, Humorist

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org