SPUG: perl interface to Puget Sound traffic conditions

Mark Wagner mark at lanfear.net
Thu Dec 27 18:08:16 CST 2001

While working on a text version of the Eastside Journal web site I started
hacking together a perl interface to the Puget Sound traffic condition
data. That project was canceled but I got the interface working somewhat.

Rather than let it die (perhaps it should) I've made a tarball of
the source at <http://www.lanfear.net/~mark/webflow.tar.gz>.

The following example finds the locations of heavy traffic on the main
I-5 southbound lanes and the major incidents for the area:

-- cut here --

use Webflow ();

my $wf = new Webflow;

$wf->update(stations => 'foo.sta', messages => 'foo.msg',
            data => 'foo.dat') or die $wf->{errmsg};

$sucks = $wf->select(highway => 'I-5', lane => 'main',
                     direction => 'south', congestion => 'heavy')
    or die $wf->{errmsg};

print "Incidents:\n";
for my $message (@{$wf->{messages}}) {
    $message->{heading} eq 'INCIDENT' or next;
    for my $text (@{$message->{text}}) {
        print "$text\n";
    }
}

print "\n";

print "Heavy traffic:\n";
for (@{$sucks}) {
    print "$wf->{stations}[$_]{location}\n";

-- cut here --

As of Thu Dec 27 15:51:15 PST 2001 the this produced the following
output:

-- cut here --

Incidents:
CLEARED verified with camera 3:12 PM: I-5 southbound TO MERCER ST accident partially blocking RAMP verified with camera 3:08 PM
A MAJOR EVENT WILL OCCUR THIS AFTERNOON AT SAFECO FIELD FROM 1:00 TO 5:30 PM. MOTORISTS SHOULD EXPECT SIGNIFICANT TRAFFIC IMPACTS AND ARE ADVISED TO PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
A MAJOR EVENT WILL OCCUR THIS EVENING AT THE KEY ARENA FROM 7:30 TO 10:00 PM. MOTORISTS SHOULD EXPECT SIGNIFICANT TRAFFIC IMPACTS AND ARE ADVISED TO PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

Heavy traffic:
Marion St
S Spokane St
Columbian Way