SPUG: Barewords and Net::SNMP

Jim Flanagan jimfl at colltech.com
Wed Dec 5 13:56:29 CST 2001

--On Wednesday, December 5, 2001 11:25 AM -0800 "Martin, Asa"
<asa.martin at attws.com> wrote:

     > my $sysContact = '1.3.6.1.2.1.1.4.0';
     > my $type = 'OCTET_STRING';
     > my $value = 'Help Desk x911';
     > my $result = $session->set_request(
     >    -varbindlist => [$sysContact, $type, "$value"]
     > );
     >
     > It errors out saying:
     > Unknown ASN.1 type [OCTET_STRING].
     > even though according to the docs, OCTET_STRING "exported" by
     > default.
     >
     > Is there a way to force the $type variable to be considered a
     > "bareword" by Perl and have it interpolate correctly? I don't know
     > if that is phrased correctly, but hopefully you understand the
     > question. I'm also sending this to the author of Net::SNMP and he
     > might be able to shed some light on the matter.

  OCTET_STRING is a constant, which means it is a subroutine which returns
  a constant, which the perl compiler will inline the constant that the
  subroutine returns (rather than have a subroutine call at runtime). So
  the assignment that you want to make is

      my $type = OCTET_STRING ;

  Then $type will have the appropriate value for be used in the
set_request() call.

--
Jim Flanagan
jimfl at colltech.com