SPUG: Perl: debuging and maintenance

Jay Scherrer jay at Scherrer.com
Tue Aug 14 14:10:30 CDT 2001

Although I'm not experienced enough to write "Obfuscated Perl", I'm
might forget what I wrote.
I think it would be very helpful to have a talk on the maintenance of
large projects. I was the one asked about bringing separate files into
the main Perl program. And so far it has helped me a lot. I normally
write gui oriented Perl by using the Tk module. I hope to be releasing a
major project by October. In this project I use the Perl::Tk module and
at least fifty sub-routines (child widows).  Keeping the large subs
separate from the main helps not only in maintenance but also in code
reuse and I can keep the main very manageable. At one of the meetings I
overheard Tim talking about the early Perl only using the .pl to stand
for Perl libraries. And it makes very good sense. My early experience
with C does just about the same. Breaking the script into manageable
pieces helps me debug and maintain the project very easily.
Another question: Can I list all of my .pl's into a pm? For instance,
can I :
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
# main Perl
use Tk;