SPUG: True SPUGster networking?

Showell30 at aol.com Showell30 at aol.com
Tue Aug 14 09:27:58 CDT 2001

I humbly propose that the best speaker for the SPUG hiring meeting is no
speaker.

The recent discussions on this list demonstrate that SPUGsters can generate
and refine ideas in a fruitful and civil manner.  So, a meeting that is just
talking among SPUGsters could really inspire job seekers (and job holders
too).

On the other hand, the discussions on this list tend to get too abstract.
Job seekers need to talk about specific things they want to do in Perl.  Job
holders should talk about specific things they are doing in Perl.  Actually,
I don't really care whether they are doing things in Perl (others on list
might be offended, but good discussions can be taken offline after the first
couple posts), but it is important to BE SPECIFIC.

What are people working on in their down time?

Right now, I am taking a program that I had written in Perl to post pictures
in web, and I'm rewriting it in Python (blasphemy).  I know that there are
lots of existing solutions on the web for picture posting, but they have
shortcomings and drawbacks.   I had resisted Python for a long time, but
after using it, I have to admit that I'm no so quick to defend all of Perl's
quirks.

Overall trends that I would like to see people talk about are the following:

   1) How can Perl be used for consumer video applications?
   2) How can Perl community enable small businesses to really use technology
well?

Finally, I think we should continue the discussion about how to make money in
Perl when so much good code is free.  It's easy to dismiss this generally
good thing when you're still working, but when you're jobseeking, it can be
really frustrating that good ideas don't necessarily equate to revenue or
paying your bills.  I am convinced that if you want to make money in Perl on
your own, you have to write a book.