SPUG: Does Perl Scale? (Was: Evolution of Perl)

Ken McGlothlen mcglk at artlogix.com
Mon Aug 13 16:24:18 CDT 2001

"Melissa D. Binde" <binde at terindell.com> writes:

| It's important to not use that statement to justify "developers should never
| have to write good code or optimize it, because hardware is always cheaper
| than their time."

It bears pointing out that ninety percent of speed issues aren't issues of
interpreted vs compiled, nor is it compiler optimization or things like that.
It's just badly swotted-up code.  I can't tell you how many times I've doubled
the speed of someone else's program just by moving crap out of a loop that
didn't have to be in there.  :)

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org