SPUG: local Perl classes

Tim Buckwalter TimBuckwalter at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 13:09:18 CDT 2001

Dear SPUG:
I just joined the list minutes ago. I've been doing Perl since 98 and
like most people I improve my skills completely on my own. However, when
I recently listed "improve my Perl skills" as one of my goals in one of
those annual corporate self-improvement navel-gazing exercises, my
manager suggested that I take a Perl course here is Seattle. I checked
out the UW distance learning courses and they do have a CGI course
(http://www.outreach.washington.edu/dl/comp.asp), but CGI is not what we
do here in our Linguistics dept. (I do mostly regexps stuff and stats
from processing large amounts of text). Areas of Perl that I'd like to
work on the most are methods of managing/integrating lots of scattered
code (my use of local vars is zero, and all my subroutines are located
in the same file they're called from). I have a fairly good idea of how
to learn this stuff on my own, but taking a course in something related
is what I'm being encouraged to do. Do any of you have any idea where
such courses would be offered?
TIA,
Tim

--