SPUG: Re: Perl and HTML

Terry Nightingale tnight at pobox.com
Tue Oct 24 15:01:22 CDT 2000

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Showell30 at aol.com wrote:

> Yep, that's a good way to think of it.  For me, the bigger problem is
> automating web page generation (a coding problem), and the problem within the
> problem is making the pages look nice (HTML).  So, I see it as code with HTML
> in it.

For me personally, the yet bigger problem is that as soon as you mix any HTML
into your code, or mix any code into your HTML, you've made it difficult for a
page designer to access in the former case, or easy for a page designer to
change inadvertently (read: break) in the latter case.  In my opinion, this
problem is why the CGI/HTML nut has yet to be cracked.

This of course assumes that the person who makes the pages look nice and the
person who writes the page generation code are different people, which in my
experience, is true of all projects with any amount of size and/or complexity.

FWIW...

--
Terry Nightingale <tnight at pobox.com>
+1-425-649-9304(v) / +1-425-643-7112(f)

Prediction is very difficult, especially of the future.  -Niels Bohr

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org