SPUG: Process Size

Asim Jalis ajalis at cobaltgroup.com
Thu Nov 2 15:05:33 CST 2000

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 04:26:53PM -0800, John Cokos wrote:
> Apologies in advance for the dumb question ....
>
> How can I determine the amount of memory (in kb) that
> a perl program consumes once compiled and running?

If you are running the program under Unix you can type "ps ux" (without
the quotes) on the command line while your Perl program is running. This
will show you the memory foot-print of your process and some other data.
Another option on Unix is to type "top". This will give you running data
on your processes (ps ux just gives you a snapshot).

On Windows you should run Task Manager (on W2K this pops up if you
click Alt-Ctrl-Del and then select Task Manager). Then click on the
"Processes" tab. One of the columns should list the memory foot-print
of the Perl process.

Asim

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org