SPUG: Support Network

Chris Sutton chris at smalldognet.com
Wed May 17 11:57:55 CDT 2000

Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for several months now (I even managed to lurk
at one meeting so far) and some things have come up in my work as a lone
Perl developer that maybe others in the community have dealt with
before.

Anyway, I've been hacking away here for about 2 years and have evolved
to the point where I am using the following for all of my projects.

Linux
Apache
mod_perl
Postgres

These "tools" have been great for all of the small and medium sized
projects I have done and are practical for those clients who can't
afford to pay for an Oracle license (plus I don't know Oracle).  So far
they have also seemed to scale and perform very well.

The problem I'm running into is that because I'm using these "non
Microsoft/shrinkwrapped" tools, and that I'm the only one who "knows how
it all work", and if I get hit by a bus or decided that computers are
not my game anymore and I move to Idaho to become a farmer, that they
will be SOL in a big way.

I've tried to assure my clients that these are very common tools and
that there are lots of people out there that along with the proper
documentation during development could come on board and take over a
project.

Of course these people exists, but clients feel better if they have
names..

So, I was thinking yesterday, there has to be a bunch (or at least some)
people in the Seattle area who are using the same tools that I am, and
are running into the same problems.  We could band together, use each
other as resources, references, learn from each other, and try and
overthrow the IIS,ASP,MS SQL monster that seems to be growing out of
control.

Seriously though, are there others out there like me that would be
interested in something like this?

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org