SPUG: Slice of an arrary within a hash?

Joel largest at largest.org
Fri May 5 18:56:00 CDT 2000

> ced at carios2.ca.boeing.com wrote
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>                 ^^^^^^
>    # enable warnings above. See -w
>    # in action below:

<$0.02>

-w is a great tool, but I don't put it in the shebang line of my perl
scripts.  This is because it turns on warnings for *all* Perl involved in
the script, which includes all use'd modules and all modules the use'd
modules use, and so on.  Also, it will sometimes warn me about things that
I know are okay.

You can turn off the warnings temporarily by local'izing the $^W variable
around code you know might generate a warning.  But at work there are some
older modules that are crufty and generate lots of (allowable) warnings.
So I get tired of reading a page of warnings I already know about every
time I run the script.  (yes I realize someone should go fix the old
modules :-)

My solution?  When I'm stumped on a debug or want to verify my code before
checking into production, I run

 perl -cw myscript

which shows me the warnings.

</$0.02>

Joel

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org
 SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE: Replace "action" below by subscribe or unsubscribe
           Email to majordomo at pm.org: "action" spug-list your_address