SPUG: Call for Cooks: "File Access"

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Wed Mar 15 12:09:07 CST 2000

I'm looking for a volunteer to lead a discussion on Chapter 7
of the Perl Cookbook, "File Access", for the April 18th meeting.
Topics include open(), in-place editing, file-locking, flushing
output, manipulating filehandles, and so forth.

If the volunteer wishes, Chapter 8, "File Contents", could be
bundled in as well (they're both fairly short chapters).

This would be a great chance to show off your current knowledge
of these topics, or to motivate yourself to acquire this useful
knowledge soon!

Also, if you'll indulge me in a short "pledge break", I'd like
to encourage those of you who have thus far only been on the
receiving-end of SPUGery to chip in and give something back to
the group!

I'll be visiting the Australian Perl Mongers groups for
three weeks starting Monday (along with visiting Thor's family
(http://www.oz.net/~tmaher/thor), famous wine-growing regions, etc.).
After that, I'll be delivering on-site Perl classes out of state
until late-April.  Therefore, this is the last week I'll be in town
until after the next two SPUG meetings have occurred; accordingly,
I'd like to have a speaker lined up for the April meeting by this
weekend at the latest.

The lines are now open for volunteers! 8-}

I met with a local company last week that has volunteered to sponsor
a Perl speaker for an upcoming meeting.  I've already been in touch
with Damian Conway, but the scheduling looks problematic for him.
Any requests for other speakers?

| Tim Maher, PhD  Consultix &              (206) 781-UNIX/8649           |
|  Pacific Software Gurus, Inc             Email: tim at consultix-inc.com  |
|  UNIX/Linux & Perl Training              http://www.consultix-inc.com  |
| Classes- 5/15: UNIX  5/22: Basic Perl+Modules  6/12: Intermediate Perl |

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org