SPUG: Call for Cooks: "File Access"

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Wed Mar 15 12:09:07 CST 2000

SPUGsters,

I'm looking for a volunteer to lead a discussion on Chapter 7
of the Perl Cookbook, "File Access", for the April 18th meeting.
Topics include open(), in-place editing, file-locking, flushing
output, manipulating filehandles, and so forth.

If the volunteer wishes, Chapter 8, "File Contents", could be
bundled in as well (they're both fairly short chapters).

This would be a great chance to show off your current knowledge
of these topics, or to motivate yourself to acquire this useful
knowledge soon!

Also, if you'll indulge me in a short "pledge break", I'd like
to encourage those of you who have thus far only been on the
receiving-end of SPUGery to chip in and give something back to
the group!

I'LL BE SPUGGING DOWN-UNDER

I'll be visiting the Australian Perl Mongers groups for
three weeks starting Monday (along with visiting Thor's family
(http://www.oz.net/~tmaher/thor), famous wine-growing regions, etc.).
After that, I'll be delivering on-site Perl classes out of state
until late-April.  Therefore, this is the last week I'll be in town
until after the next two SPUG meetings have occurred; accordingly,
I'd like to have a speaker lined up for the April meeting by this
weekend at the latest.

The lines are now open for volunteers! 8-}

SPONSORSHIP NEWS

I met with a local company last week that has volunteered to sponsor
a Perl speaker for an upcoming meeting.  I've already been in touch
with Damian Conway, but the scheduling looks problematic for him.
Any requests for other speakers?

| Tim Maher, PhD  Consultix &              (206) 781-UNIX/8649           |
|  Pacific Software Gurus, Inc             Email: tim at consultix-inc.com  |
|  UNIX/Linux & Perl Training              http://www.consultix-inc.com  |
| Classes- 5/15: UNIX  5/22: Basic Perl+Modules  6/12: Intermediate Perl |

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org