SPUG: Mailform

William Julien moonbeam at catmanor.com
Sun Mar 12 13:26:48 CST 2000

>SPUGers,
>
>I've created the following script to process form input after it's being
>filled out. I've writen it for a UNIX-based server.
>
>I want to make it work on an NT environ as well. What changes should I make
>on the script for it to be able to work on Windows NT server?
>
>Thanks.
>
>../seppy

<code zapped>

See...
       perldoc perlport

Quote...
       One especially common bit of Perl code is opening a pipe
       to sendmail:

           open(MAIL, '|/usr/lib/sendmail -t') or die $!;

       This is fine for systems programming when sendmail is
       known to be available.  But it is not fine for many non-
       Unix systems, and even some Unix systems that may not have
       sendmail installed.  If a portable solution is needed, see
       the Mail::Send and Mail::Mailer modules in the MailTools
       distribution.  Mail::Mailer provides several mailing
       methods, including mail, sendmail, and direct SMTP (via
       Net::SMTP) if a mail transfer agent is not available.

       The rule of thumb for portable code is: Do it all in
       portable Perl, or use a module (that may internally
       implement it with platform-specific code, but expose a
       common interface).

---
   William Julien           _,'|            _.-''``-...___..--';
moonbeam at catmanor.com      /, \'.      _..-' ,      ,--...--'''
 vi is my shepherd;       < \   .`--'''      `     /|
 i shall not font.         `-,;'              ;   ; ;

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org