SPUG: Greeetings, & wanting a little advice...

Jason Lamport jason at strangelight.com
Wed Jun 21 18:45:48 CDT 2000

Hello SPUGsters,

I've been lurking on this list for a while now, and I thought it time
to introduce myself:

My name's Jason, I've been programming computers since I was 8 (and
yes, I started with BASIC, but I turned into a damn good programmer
anyway, despite what Dijkstra says... ;)  I've been programming with
Perl for about 3 years now: mostly CGI and CGI/database applications.
I don't think I have any particularly unusual talents when it comes
to programming, except that I'm probably the northwest's foremost
authority on Reinventing the Wheel :)

When I'm not writing code, I'm usually occupied with dancing (I mean
professionally: with a dance company), writing plays, backpacking in
the wilderness, creating Art, and other Bad Habits.

Anyone who's curious can find out a *little* more about me at
http://www.strangelight.com/ (though some of it's out of date).

Now, I have a (possibly strange, perhaps even tactless) question to
ask of you all:

What is the going rate for Perl programmers (and/or HTML designers/
JavaScript programmers) these days?  You see, up until now, all of my
jobs and assignments have been for non-profits and other legitimately
low-paying clients/employers, so I have absolutely no clue what's
standard in the corporate, for-profit world.  I mean, I know I'm
being underpaid right now, but I have no idea just *how* underpaid.
I've recently begun interviewing for various positions in the
corporate world, and I've come to suspect that I'm botching the
interviews by making my salary requirements way too low, making the
interviewers assume that I must really not know what I'm doing.
(Which is true: I *don't* know what I'm doing, when it comes to
salary negotiations -- but they're not hiring me to negotiate
salaries, they're hiring me to write code, which is something I *do*
know how to do...)

I've looked at some of those on-line salary surveys, but they're
always organized by job titles, not job-descriptions, and the job
titles are so hopelessly vague that I have no idea which job titles
really fits what I do.

And there are so many other factors: like the fact that I *don't*
have a CS degree -- my qualifications are almost all from work
experience, not schooling -- which I assume lowers my earning
potential a few notches.  I also assume that it makes a big
difference exactly what sort of project I'm working on: I'd expect to
get paid more per hour for setting up a complex, database-driven
e-commerce site than for setting up a simple form-to-email script.

Anyway, any advice on setting fees for clients and/or salary
requirements for prospective employers would be greatly appreciated.
(If you don't think this discussion belongs on the SPUG list, just
email me privy.)

Thanks!  And happy coding.

-jason

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org