SPUG: WashTech Ind. Contractor Seminar

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Jun 20 13:48:44 CDT 2000

FYI, spugsters!
-Tim

You have received this mail from the Washington Alliance of Technology
Workers. For information about subscribing or unsubscribing, skip to the end of
this mail.

6/19/00

HOW TO BECOME AN INDEPENDENT HIGH-TECH PROFESSIONAL

Running low on excuses to avoid company picnics? Stuck doing COBOL in a Web
world? Not getting paid for what you're worth?

Go independent.

Come to a WashTech-sponsored seminar on Wednesday, June 28: "How to Become an
Independent Web Professional." Speakers will include an independent Web
professional, an attorney/CPA, a comprehensive insurance provider and a
principal of a full-disclosure Web consulting firm.

To RSVP and register for the seminar, visit:

http://www.washtech.org/about/training/062800_icsem.php3

Questions to be addressed include:

-- How much more will I make as an independent?
-- Where do I get insurance?
-- How do I make the switch from W-2 (employee) to 1099 (independent)?
-- Where do I get challenging Web contracts?

WHAT: "How to Become an Independent High-Tech Professional" -- a seminar and
discussion focused on benefit, tax, and small business issues facing independent
contractors in the IT industry.

WHEN: Wednesday, June 28, 6:45-7 p.m. networking; 7-8:30 p.m. seminar

WHERE: Lake Washington School District Administration and Resource Center
Building, 6250 NE 74th St., Redmond, WA. You can find detailed directions on the
district's Web site at:

http://www.lkwash.wednet.edu/lwsd/html/schools/directions.asp

COST: Free

WHO: A panel of four industry professionals, including:

-- Monica Gianni, attorney and CPA of The Gianni Law Firm
(http://firms.findlaw.com/Thegiannilawfirm).

-- Jeff Williams, sales representative of Cornerstone Marketing, an insurance
sales agency.

-- An independent Web professional TBA.

-- Ken Hammond, principal of White Hammond Consulting (www.whitehammond.com), a
full-disclosure Web consulting firm that gives its contractors 82 percent of the
bill rate. (If you would like to be notified via email of challenging Web
contracts from White Hammond, you may subscribe to their jobs list at
www.whitehammond.com/html/jobs.htm)

CO-SPONSORS: The seminar is co-sponsored by White Hammond Consulting, Inc.,
Seattle Webgrrls (www.seattlewebgrrls.org) and the University Book Store
(www.bookstore.washington.edu). Staff from the bookstore will be at the event
with books on Web development, independent contracting and tax issues. Seminar
attendees will be able to purchase these books at 15 percent off regular retail
prices.

RSVP: The event is free, but you must RSVP by registering via the Web form at
the URL at the top of this mail. If you are interested in the seminar but cannot
attend, please register anyway, check the box saying that you cannot attend, and
we'll send you a detailed seminar packet and presentation info on the day of the
conference.

********

For more info on WashTech's mission and goals, see:
http://www.washtech.org/mission_goals.html

To join WashTech online, see:
https://secure.speakeasy.net/washtech/join_form.html

text SUBSCRIBE WashTech-News in the body of the message. You will receive e-mail
confirming your subscription.

UNSUBSCRIBE WashTech-News as the body of the message

Copyright (c) 2000 WashTech
All Rights Reserved
Published by:
WashTech
2366 Eastlake Ave E, #301
Seattle, WA 98102
U.S.A.

(206) 726-8580
contact at washtech.org

This publication may be freely copied or retransmitted provided it remains
intact and without changes. Any unauthorized partial duplication will be
considered a copyright infringement.

----- End forwarded message -----

| Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix       (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX# |
| Email: tim at consultix-inc.com        Web: http://www.consultix-inc.com  |
| CLASSES; 6/12: Int. Perl  6/15: Pat. Matching  8/14: UNIX  8/21: Shell |
| DAMIAN CONWAY Seminars;  Adv. OO Perl: 7/6,  Parsing with Modules: 7/7 |

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org