SPUG: Way off subject: XML as HTML replacement?

Joe Devlin jdevlin at stadiumdistrict.com
Mon Jun 12 17:07:00 CDT 2000

Hello Michael,

I had a similar question around the same time as you,
because I've heard so much hype about it being the
thing to be doing.

I went to Borders in Seattle and scanned through all
the books on XML and found that it appears that XML
is only read by Internet Explorer 5.

The graphic development tool Dreamweaver on a simple test
has the option of reading an XML file but it doesn't
seem to open up the file the same as HTML.

If I were to hand code XML for some of my Perl scripts, then
the graphics designers wouldn't be able to use it with dreamweaver.
So we have  decided to hold off for a while...

Could be a case of too much ignorance on my part.  But
the process seemed a little bleeding edge and we have work to do.

Joe