SPUG: The beans

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Wed Jul 26 17:04:26 CDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 07:13:47AM -0600, B.Ingerson at epixtech.com wrote:
> Hi all,

(BIG snip)

> Keep in mind for the initial project we should probably pick something
> with the following attributes:
>
> 1) Is a module (not a script or app)
> 2) Finishable in a 1-2 month timeframe.
> 3) Usable on Unix and Win32

I agree wholeheartedly.  The LAST thing we want to do here is take
on overly ambitious projects, have them get bogged down in logistical
issues, and then have the whole effort fall into disarray and grind
to a halt with everybody frustrated and mad at the end, with nothing to
show for their efforts.  (Think this can't happen? 9-{)

I'd encourage a rather modest project at first, to let us learn how
to coordinate the team-work (CVS? Damian's "Programming by Contract?")
before taking on something more challenging.

> The important thing initially is to get a good infrastructure set up for
> doing this. Then we can take on the world...

Agreed! Once we've got the "software infrastructure" and "wetware
coordination" elements figured out, we should be able to tackle really
juicy projects with ease.

--
| Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix       (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX# |

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org