SPUG: Re: SPUG@cpan.org and projects

wwg at tscnet.com wwg at tscnet.com
Wed Jul 19 11:28:03 CDT 2000

Hello, all --

I've been lurking for the better part of a year,
although I did post one response to a Linux-related
question a while back.  My name's Bill Graham, and I am
currently primarily a Java developer in my day job, but
use Perl for many things, and have personal projects
ongoing ...

Anyway, I have a project that I'd be willing to move
under the SPUG at cpan auspices, if anyone's interested.
It's a Perl/TK database browser/query tool using DBI.
In its current form, once you connect to the database,
you are presented with a tree view of tables, which you
can expand to view columns by clicking on the table.  If
you select columns from one or more tables, you can
click a "Generate Query" button, and a SELECT statement
is created in the query window for all table.columns you
highlighted (you then have to specify the join and any
other filter criteria - possible future enhancement is
to examine foreign keys to try to determine the most
likely join ...).  The query can then be executed &
results displayed, etc.  If you have multiple sql
statements in the query window, you can highlight any
one of them and execute only that statement.  Finally,
I'm working on a routine to create a default data entry
form based on specifying a table name (similar to the
table wizard in Access, but simpler / not as slick).
Currently, that piece can retrieve all the column names
and construct a form with column name labels and text
entry fields for each.  The code to
query/update/insert/delete/navigate in the form isn't
there yet ...

I've used it with MySQL and Oracle8i, both on Linux.  I
haven't worked on it much in the last couple of months
due to job time constraints.  Anyone interested??

Best Regards,
Bill Graham
360 Powered Corp.
www.360.com

This mail sent through Sinclair's WebMail
      http://mail.sinclair.net

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org